Monday, June 4, 2012

Fasting -vs- Surrender



Yesterday we watched an Ellerslie sermon by Eric Ludy.  If you haven't heard of Ellerslie or Eric Ludy, you will want to check it out.  We watched a message entitled "Contempt for the Cool."  It was loaded with so many nuggets that are impossible to squeeze onto this post.  But one small thing that he said kept playing over and over again in my mind.

He spoke about the difference between fasting and surrendering.  Fasting is giving up something for a season, but you get it back later.  Surrendering is giving something up without ever getting it back.

Have I fully surrendered my life?  Absolutely everything?

Or am I simply pretending to be dead to my old self?

If I am really dead to my old self, then there will be proof in my life.  Want another gut check?  Ask yourself truthfully if you are craving comfort over God?  Do you have what Eric Ludy called a "hybrid relationship," where you are living comfortably and yet trying to serve Him?

That is not surrender.

We cannot serve two masters.  We have to CHOOSE today whom we will serve.  We have to be painfully branded by our Master.

Who owns my life?

     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment