Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Contentment

"...Contentment is the equilibrium between the enjoyment of life now and the anticipation of what is to come.  Contentment serves as a guard against desires gone wild.  It is the key to unlock you from the bondage of unrestrained longing that wells up within your heart and inevitably begins to control your life, making you a slave to what you don't have instead of a fully engaged participant with what you do."  ---Priscilla Shirer, The Resolution for Women





A question was posed to me the other day...a prompting in my spirit...  "Are you present for these moments?"  When I'm there, am I really there? The truth is that often in my life, I have been pressing forward to whatever lay just over the horizon...the next meal, the next event, the next phase in my life, the next challenge, the next project.  Sometimes it's excited anticipation of what lies ahead.  Sometimes it's dreadful anticipation of the next event.  Sometimes it's just survival mode to make it through the rough day or the exhausting evening.  If I can just make it to bed time...  So, while I'm physically there, I'm not truly present in the moment.


It made me stop.  right.  there.  


Forgive me, God, for not being content in this moment.  Forgive me for wishing for situations I don't have...for plowing through a season of life just to get to the next season...for not believing (realllllly believing) that You are in control of all things and that You make all things work together for my good.  If I believe You, I will be content, peaceful, very present in this moment that You have given me.


This moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment